Info provided by MapMuse.com
John L. Rayward House (Tirranna)
418-498 Frogtown Rd
New Canaan CT
Year Designed:  1955
Year Built:  1955
Description:  The Rayward-Shepherd House Tirranna, was built in New Canaan, Connecticut in 1955 for Joyce and John Rayward. This house is located right on a pond just off the Noroton River, and it features elaborate land and water-scaping. “Tirranna” is an Australian aboriginal word meaning “running waters” – an apt name for this spectacular residence, whose hemicycle-plan living/dining wing overlooks a pool which steps down to a pond and extensive landscaped gardens, designed by the same landscape architect as the Brooklyn Botanic Garden. The Rayward House includes a later (1958) extension by Taliesin Associated Architects, featuring an observatory above the master bedroom dressing room, as well as a playhouse for the Raywards’ daughters, Victoria and Jennifer (1957), also designed by TAA, which echoes the hemicycle form of the main house.
Home » Interests » Going Green » Frank Lloyd Wright Houses, Homes and Buildings » John L. Rayward House (Tirranna)
John L. Rayward House (Tirranna) - 418-498 Frogtown Rd, New Canaan CT  | MapMuse
Search MapMuse

John L. Rayward House (Tirranna) in New Canaan, CT

Basic Info
John L. Rayward House (Tirranna)
418-498 Frogtown Rd
New Canaan CT
Official website: Unknown, click here to add a website for this place...
Year Designed: 1955
Year Built: 1955
Description: The Rayward-Shepherd House Tirranna, was built in New Canaan, Connecticut in 1955 for Joyce and John Rayward. This house is located right on a pond just off the Noroton River, and it features elaborate land and water-scaping. “Tirranna” is an Australian aboriginal word meaning “running waters” – an apt name for this spectacular residence, whose hemicycle-plan living/dining wing overlooks a pool which steps down to a pond and extensive landscaped gardens, designed by the same landscape architect as the Brooklyn Botanic Garden. The Rayward House includes a later (1958) extension by Taliesin Associated Architects, featuring an observatory above the master bedroom dressing room, as well as a playhouse for the Raywards’ daughters, Victoria and Jennifer (1957), also designed by TAA, which echoes the hemicycle form of the main house.
Go to a map of this place
Get driving directions
Edit or correct this information
Click here if this place is closed,
no longer exists, or is a duplicate
 
Visitor Reviews
Visited this place? Rate it or write a review!
No reviews.
Be the first to review this place!
 
Home | Chains, Brands, Retail Stores | Things to Do and See | Blog | Mashups | Mobile Apps | MapMuse Network | Privacy Policy | FAQ | Sitemap | Contact