Lewis and Clark Expedition Locations, Interactive Maps, Phone, Website and More
All Places of Interest » Lewis and Clark Expedition
The Lewis and Clark Expedition (1804-1806), headed by Meriwether Lewis and William Clark, was the first American overland expedition to the Pacific coast and back.
* The U.S. gained an extensive knowledge of the geography of the American West in the form of maps of major rivers and mountain ranges
* Observed and described 178 plants and 122 species and subspecies of animals (see List of species described by the Lewis and Clark Expedition)
* Encouraged Euro-American fur trade in the West
* Opened Euro-American diplomatic relations with the Indians
* Established a precedent for Army exploration of the West
* Strengthened the U.S. claim to Oregon Territory
Interested in purchasing Lewis and Clark Expedition information?