Raison D'etre - Dairy Queen's reason for being is to serve delicious soft serve ice cream in many forms including sundaes, shakes and blizzards (ice cream with candy blended together) and possibly as an after thought a burger,hot dog, or fries on the side. They serve both rural and suburban communities.
Dairy Queen (DQ): An Abbreviated History
- The DQ soft serve recipe was created by John Fremont "J.F." "Grandpa" McCullough and his son Alex in 1938
- It was first served to the public by Sherb Noble, a friend of the creators, in his ice cream store in Kankakee, Illinois
- On the first day of sales, they dished out more than 1,600 servings of the new soft serve ice cream within two hours
- Noble and the McCulloughs opened the first Dairy Queen store in 1940 in Joliet, Illinois.
They began franchising in 1940
- Many Dairy Queens were located in small towns in the south and mid-west becoming a part of the small town's "social fabric".
- The Blizzard wash introduced in 1985
- In 1987, DQ bought the Orange Julius chain.
- DQ was acquired by Berkshire Hathaway in 1998.
- Today there are over 5,000 Dairy Queens in various forms in the United States
- While started as in ice cream shop the vast majority of DQs sell a full menu of typical fast food offerings
- Dairy Queens businesses operate under the following names.
Dairy Queen / Orange Julius
Dairy Queen Brazier
DQ Grill & Chill Restaurant